Wednesday, May 18, 2011

iSchool Vision

Hi folks,

A few notes before I add in my 2c. First - I have not tried to synthesize across the very interesting perspectives that are in. Second, a personal peeve. Could we avoid tripping over the word 'science'? It does not advance our discussions one way or another when we use the term, but does ruffle feathers - for example, I refuse it and others need it; and despite that I can feel in fundamental agreement with those who really need it and I hope vice versa.

geof

VisionThe iSchool at Pittsburgh's understanding and teaching of information ecologies is the premier in the world.

Mission

To research, teach and propagate creative use of information technology for the greater good.

Strategic Goals
To achieve a world leadership position, we must:
  • integrate our School so as to create research and teaching which is responsive to the complexity of information problems;
  • agree on two or three areas of research and teaching which the School specializes in;
  • overhaul our Masters programs so as to reflect our integration and for them to be best prepared for the emerging job market;
  • create interdisciplinary working conditions (lab space, shared grants and so forth) for our doctoral students to be creative leaders;
  • move into a central position on campus for all information policy decisions.
Geof Bowker

No comments:

Post a Comment